Banana Custard Cake
A custard-filled banana coconut layer cake with a fluffy coconut flavored frosting.
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
2 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1 large egg white
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
2 cups powdered sugar
- In a mixer bowl, combine white cake mix, 2 eggs, water, and mashed bananas; beat about 5 minutes.
- Pour the batter into two greased 9-inch round cake pans and sprinkle with flaked coconut. Bake according to the white cake mix package directions. Cool on wire racks, coconut side up.
- Meanwhile, for custard, in a saucepan combine granulated sugar, flour, cream, and 2 tablespoons butter, stirring occasionally until thickened; then add chopped nuts, salt, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Place one cake on a serving plate, coconut side down. Cover with half of the custard. Place second cake on top with coconut side up. Spread the other half of the custard on the top of the second cake leaving 1-inch from the sides uncovered.
- In a bowl, beat 1 egg white with 1/4 cup softened butter, and shortening. Add coconut extract, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and powdered sugar. Beat until fluffy. Frost the sides and 1-inch around the edges of the top, leaving the coconut center unfrosted.
Makes 12 servings.