Banana Upside-Down Cake
Classic upside-down cake is delicious with any fruit, but bananas are so easily available year-round — which makes this recipe a perfect solution to the question, "what's for dessert"?
3 tablespoons canola oil margarine
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 bananas, peeled and sliced in 1/2-inch slices
1 large egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 banana, peeled and cut into chunks
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon or orange peel
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt canola margarine in 9x9x2-inch cake pan, placed in a 350°F (175°C) oven for two to three minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Stir in brown sugar. Arrange sliced bananas in a single layer in brown sugar mixture.
- Place egg, granulated sugar, banana chunks, canola oil, milk, vanilla extract and grated peel in food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add banana mixture to flour mixture. Stir until blended. Pour batter over bananas in cake pan.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in pan set on wire rack. Invert onto serving plate. Serve warm or cool. Best served on the same day.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 230; Total Fat 7g; Saturated Fat 1g; Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 140mg; Carbohydrates 43g; Fiber 1g; Protein 2g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.