Cake-Mix Substitute with Variations
Looking for a substitute recipe for a store-bought, ready-to-use packaged cake-mix? Here it is, and unlike the commercially produced one, this cake-mix doesn't contain any 'additives or fillers', plus when you use this 'cake-mix' you can truly say your cake is homemade!
Basic Dry Yellow Cake-Mix:
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
To Make Cake:
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To Make Basic Dry Yellow Cake-Mix: Mix together flour, sugar, dry milk powder, baking powder and salt.
- To Make Cake: Place Basic Dry Cake-Mix in a large mixing bowl. Add milk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then high for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently.
- Pour cake batter into two greased and floured 8 or 9-inch round cake pans or 1 (13x9x2-inch) pan.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 1 (8 to 9-inch) two-layer cake or 1 (13x9x2-inch) cake.
- For White Cake: Substitute 3 egg whites for the 2 whole eggs.
For Chocolate Cake: Add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to Basic
- Dry Yellow Cake-Mix.
- For Spice Cake: Add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice to Basic Dry Yellow Cake-Mix.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of the baked basic yellow cake only): 291.3 calories; 31% calories from fat; 10.2g total fat; 35.9mg cholesterol; 269.6mg sodium; 97.6mg potassium; 45.7g carbohydrates; 0.7g fiber; 26.9g sugar; 45.0g net carbs; 4.8g protein.