Carrot Cake 3
Serve this delicious carrot cake topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting at your next family gathering.
Canola oil cooking spray
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola margarine, softened
1 (4-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 13x9x2-inch rectangular baking pan with cooking spray.
- For Cake: In smaller bowl, whisk sugar, canola oil, applesauce and eggs until smooth. Stir in grated carrot and walnuts.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir liquid mixture into flour mixture, and mix just until flour is moistened. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan set on wire rack.
- For Frosting: Cream margarine and cream cheese together. Adding powdered sugar, vanilla and enough orange juice to make a fairly stiff icing.
- Ice cake and sprinkle with orange peel. Chill to set icing.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories 206; Fat 9g; Saturated Fat 1g; Cholesterol 34mg; Sodium 253mg; Carbohydrates 29g; Fiber 1g; Protein 3g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.