Cherry Almond Streusel Cake
Moist, tender oatmeal cake with swirls of cherry pie filling, and topped with a crunchy, almond-oat streusel.
1/4 cup quick or old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) container cherry yogurt (fruit on the bottom)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup cherry pie filling - divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable.
- For Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and nutmeg and mix well. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in almonds; set aside.
- For Cake: In a medium bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl; mix well.
- Add flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Spread half of batter in pan. Drop 1/2 cup pie filling in small spoonfuls randomly over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Drop spoonfuls of remaining pie filling over batter; sprinkle evenly with streusel topping.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 servings.