Chocolate Praline Layer Cake
Crunchy, sweet praline is baked into the layers of this chocolate cake, filled with a whipped cream topping, and garnished with pecans and chocolate curls.
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 (18.25-ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 3/4 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whole pecans, if desired
Chocolate curls or shavings, if desired
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease two 9 or 8-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- In small saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over low heat just until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour into prepared cake pans; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs; beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 to 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.
- In small bowl, beat 1 3/4 cups whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer on serving plate, praline side up. Spread with half of whipped cream. Top with second layer, praline side up; spread top with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with whole pecans and chocolate curls or shavings, if desired. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 12 servings.