Chocolate Boston Cream Pie
Traditionally made with yellow sponge cake, this version features chocolate. And yes, this classic dessert is really a cake, not a pie.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 (3.3-ounce) package instant white chocolate or vanilla flavored pudding mix
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan; set aside.
- For Cake: combine all cake ingredients in large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed, about 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and carefully remove from pan. Allow to cool completely.
- For Filling: combine pudding mix and 1 1/2 cups milk in medium bowl with wire whisk until thickened. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- For Glaze: Place whipping cream in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until cream begins to boil (1 to 2 minutes). Add chocolate; remove from heat. Stir glaze with wire whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- To Assemble: Split cake horizontally in half. Place bottom layer on serving platter; spread filling over top. Place top cake layer over pudding. Refrigerate for one hour and then spread glaze over top of cake. Store refrigerated.
Makes 9 servings.