Chocolate Cherry Studded Streusel Cake
Chocolate and cherries combine for a great taste in what will become a favorite for dessert at any time of the year. This terrific recipe by Margee Berry of White Salmon, WA.
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup (6 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 cup (6 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels
1/2 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sour cream
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 13 x 9 x-inch baking pan. For the streusel topping, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl. Cut in 1/3 cup butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly; stir in semi-sweet morsels, milk chocolate morsels, oats and pecans; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- Combine sour cream, cherries, orange peel and orange juice in small bowl.
- Beat 3/4 cup butter and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl on medium speed for 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract until just combined. Alternately add the flour mixture and sour cream mixture, beating until just combined after each addition. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle top evenly with streusel topping and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes more or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack. Serve warm or cool completely.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.