Frosted Brownie Cupcakes
These one-bowl cocoa brownie cupcakes, topped with a fluffy, cocoa buttercream frosting, are simply the best way to serve and eat a "brownie"!
For Brownie Cupcakes:
1 cup butter
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons milk, or as needed
- For Brownie Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Add the cocoa to the melted butterand stir until smooth. Add both sugars; stir until mixed well. Add eggs and vanilla; beating by hand until well mixed. Add flour, salt and baking powder; stir until just mixed.
- Fill prepared muffin cups about 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cupcake comes out with a few moist crumbs (not wet). Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes to finish cooling on wire rack.
- For Frosting: In a large bowl, combine the powdered sugar and cocoa; add the softened butter, vanilla and 2 1/2 tablespoons milk and beat beat on low speed until ingredients are combined, then on high speed until well combined, adding more milk as needed for desired spreading consistency. Immediately frost cooled brownie cupcakes.
Makes 15 cupcakes with frosting.
Variation: Add 1 cup walnut or pecan pieces to batter, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/15 of recipe): Calories 292.43; Fat 18.79g; Sodium 238.74mg; Potassium 170.07mg; Total Carbohydrates 31.09g; Fiber 2.13g; Sugar 21.49g ; Protein 3.5g.