Heavenly Light Chocolate Mint Cake
A heavenly delight of a homemade chocolate angel food cake, drizzled with a creamy mint glaze.
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tarter
Creamy Mint Glaze:
3/4 cup confectioners'(powder) sugar
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
About 1 tablespoon milk
- For Cake: Sift together flour, 3/4 cup of the sugar, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tarter at high speed until foamy. Add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Sift about 1/4 cup of the reserve flour mixture over egg whites and gently fold just until flour disappears. Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Pour into ungreased 10 x 4-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with a metal spatula.
- Bake in preheated 400°F (205°C) oven until top springs back when touched lightly with fingers, about 30 minutes. Invert cake in pan on funnel or bottle neck. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours. Loosen cake from pan with narrow spatula or knife and gently shake onto serving plate. Drizzle with Creamy Mint Glaze.
- For Creamy Mint Glaze: Stir all ingredients together until well blended, using enough milk to make mixture of drizzle consistency.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Iowa Egg Council.