Honey Rum Cake
A moist and delicious, double-layered honey rum and almond cake, gilded with a luscious honey-rum whipped cream.
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 cup chopped toasted almonds
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix with pudding
3 large eggs
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup light rum
3/4 cup honey
1/3 cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons water
1/3 cup light rum.
Honey-Rum Whipped Cream:
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons light rum
Sliced almonds, toasted for garnish (optional)
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F ( 175°C).
- Melt butter in small saucepan; add honey and mix well. Divide mixture in half and spread over bottom surfaces of 2 (8-inch) cake pans. Sprinkle half of nuts into each pan; set aside.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water, oil and rum in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at highest speed 2 minutes. Pour batter over nuts in prepared pans.
- Place pans on center rack of preheated oven; bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Prick hot cakes with fork while still in pans. Spoon 1/4 of the Honey Rum Glaze over each cake and let cool 5 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks and spoon remaining glaze over nut side of each cake.
- When cool, place one cake nut side up on serving dish; cover top with 2/3 of the Honey Rum Whipped Cream. Add second layer, nut side up, and decoratively pipe remaining cream around top edge of cake. Garnish with almonds, if desired.
- For Honey-Rum Glaze: Combine honey, butter and water in small saucepan. Bring to boil; cook and stir 5 minutes. Stir in light rum.
- For Honey-Rum Whipped Cream: Whip cream in medium bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in honey; continue whipping until mixture forms stiff peaks. Fold in rum with rubber spatula. Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.
Makes about 1 1/4 cups icing.
Tip: 1 teaspoon rum flavoring can be substituted for rum in cake; increase water to 2/3 cup. Make corresponding substitutions in Honey-Rum Glaze; flavor Honey-Rum Whipped Cream with 1/2 teaspoon rum flavoring.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.