Key Lime Cake 1
This mouthwatering, sweet-tart lime cake is iced while hot with a simple syrup of lime and powdered sugar.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoon grated key lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh key lime juice
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch spring form tube pan and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and oil with a mixer until well blended. Gradually add sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the eggs, lime zest, and juice.
- Alternately stir into the creamed mixture the flour mixture and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- To make the syrup, whisk together the powdered sugar and the lime juice.
- While the cake is still warm, poke holes in it using the tines of a serving fork. Spoon the lime syrup evenly over the cake. Cool completely and dust with additional powdered sugar.
Makes 12 servings.