Lemon Lover's Cake
Serve up a bit of sunshine with this delightful lemon layer cake bursting with lemony flavor, and a refreshing lemon whipped cream frosting.
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
4 large eggs
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice - divided use
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray two 8-inch cake pans with vegetable cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
- Combine yellow cake mix, eggs, 1 cup water, vegetable oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice and lemon zest in a mixing bowl and beat on low for 1 minute. Increase speed to high and beat for 2 minutes, or until smooth. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- While the cakes cool, combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in lemon extract; set aside to cool.
- When cakes are completely cooled, make frosting by whipping cream in a large bowl until foamy. Add remaining lemon juice and powdered sugar and continue beating until firm, but not curdled.
- Brush reserved lemon syrup on cake layers. Frost top of one cake layer with whipped cream. Place second layer on top and frost entire cake. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Makes 12 servings.
Suggested garnishes: candied lemon slices, very thin slices of fresh lemon dipped in superfine sugar, lemon peel twists or mint sprigs.