Maple Browned Butter Bacon Cupcakes
Ever dip your bacon in maple syrup? These cupcakes were created with that particular sweet and savory taste combination in mind—bacon lovers with a sweet tooth will adore these treats.
3 strips center-cut bacon
3/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon packed light brown sugar - divided use
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, lightly browned (Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; cook until butter begins to brown, watch closely.)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup - divided use
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) container white prepared frosting
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Arrange strips of bacon on a rack set in a rimmed baking sheet (line baking sheet with foil for easy clean up).
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through cooking, for about 15 minutes or until bacon is almost crisp. Remove 2 strips of bacon and place on paper towel to cool. Sprinkle remaining piece of bacon evenly with 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar. Bake for 3 minutes or until sugar melts. Set aside to use as garnish.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C). Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl; mix well.
- Whisk together browned butter, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, buttermilk, 1/4 cup maple syrup and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Crumble the 2 strips of bacon and fold into batter. Spoon into prepared cups, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Stir remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup into prepared frosting. Pipe onto cupcakes. Crumble remaining sugar-coated strip of bacon; sprinkle over cupcakes.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.