Mardi Gras Party Cake
Let the good times roll with this scrumptious butterscotch chip and coconut-filled cake with Seafoam Cream Frosting.
This Mardi Gras Party Cake was submitted in the Pillsbury Bake-Off® Contest of 1959 by Eunice Surles of Lake Charles, Louisiana.
2/3 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup water
2 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup butterscotch chips
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Generously grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In small saucepan over low heat, melt 2/3 cup butterscotch chips in 1/4 cup water, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In large bowl, combine flour, remaining cake ingredients and cooled butterscotch mixture at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely.
- In medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir in half-and-half, 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup butterscotch chips and 1 egg. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, coconut and nuts; cool slightly.
- In small bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer, top side down, on serving plate. Spread with half of filling mixture. Top with second layer, top side up; spread remaining filling on top to within 1/2-inch of edge. Frost sides and top edge of cake with Seafoam Cream. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.
*To substitute for buttermilk, use 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice plus milk to make 1 cup.
Pillsbury® is the registered trademark of General Mills.
Recipe and photograph © Copyright General Mills