Meyer Lemon and Raspberry Cupcakes
Delicately fragrant Meyer lemon cupcakes, laced with fresh raspberries and topped with a refreshing, honey raspberry flavored whipped cream.
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice (1/4 cup) of one Meyer lemon
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup orange blossom honey*
2 large eggs
1/2 pint raspberries
Honey Raspberry Whipped Cream:
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon orange blossom honey*
2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- For Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a liquid measure, combine lemon zest, juice and buttermilk; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Add honey; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time. Add half of the reserved dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix on low until just combined. With mixer running on low, slowly add the lemon mixture. Add remaining dry ingredients until combined. Gently fold in raspberries.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove to wire rack; cool.
- Frost with Honey Raspberry Whipped Cream, if desired.
- For Honey Raspberry Whipped Cream: In a mixing bowl, combine whipping cream, honey and raspberry jam. Beat until peaks form.
Makes 12 to 14 cupcakes.
*Any mild-flavored honey such as clover may be used
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Honey Board.