Nectarine Mousse Cake
This elegant pastel-colored, mousse-filled cake is sure to impress your guests.
1 package angel food cake mix
6 nectarines, pitted
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brandy
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brandy
3 tablespoons cold water
3/4 cup peach jam
3 tablespoons brandy
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
2 nectarines, pitted and thinly sliced
- Prepare cake as per package directions (bake using a tube pan). Remove from oven; cool in the pan upside down.
- For Mousse: Using a blender or food processor, purée nectarines. In a small saucepan, sprinkle first addition of gelatin over lemon juice and let stand for 5 minutes to soften. Add first additions of water, sugar and brandy to gelatin mixture. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring, until gelatin is dissolved; remove from heat. Pour gelatin mixture into a large bowl.
- Whip first addition of whipping cream until it holds soft peaks when beaters are removed; whisk gently into gelatin mixture until blended. Add puréed nectarines to cream mixture and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until thickened but not set, whisking occasionally, 1 to 2 hours.
- For Soaking Syrup: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the second additions of water, sugar and brandy; cook about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For Peach-Brandy Syrup: Combine cold water, peach jam and final addition of brandy in a small bowl and blend well; set aside.
- To Assemble Cake: Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers. Drizzle all 3 layers with soaking syrup. Place bottom layer on a serving dish and top with one-third of nectarine mousse; place second layer of cake on top of that and cover with another one-third of mousse. Place last layer of cake on top, spreading remaining mousse on top of cake.
- Using a hand mixer, beat final addition of whipping cream with powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread cream on sides of cake. Any leftover cream can be used to ice the center of cake.
- Arrange a row of overlapping nectarine slices on top of cake. Drizzle with brandy syrup. Refrigerate until serving time.
Makes 12 servings.