Fill your home with the holiday aroma of gingerbread baking in the oven—and a festive mood is sure to develop.
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup molasses
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
Sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter, molasses, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir well.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Add to first mixture, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs and blend well. Add flour and beat until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Serve with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.