Orange Buttermilk Pound Cake
"Nice brunch cake to serve with coffee." Recipe submitted by Jayde Johnson from Portland, Oregon.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 large eggs
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 tablespoon strained orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup orange flavored liqueur
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Butter and flour a 10-cup Bundt® or tube pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, butter and baking powder in mixer. Beat on low speed 2 minutes.
- In separate bowl, combine eggs, egg yolks, buttermilk, peel, orange juice, vanilla and orange extract. Add to butter mixture in 3 additions, beating 1 minute between each addition. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake on lower rack about 1 hour until cake is well-colored and knife inserted between edge and tube emerges clean. Place cake in pan on wire rack to cool.
- To make Syrup: Combine water and sugar in saucepan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Add orange juice, liqueur and vanilla.
- Unmold cake. Brush glaze evenly all over outside of cake. Cool and cover or wrap in plastic for storage.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.