Piña Colada Banana Cake
A tropical delight of a cake. The toasted coconut and nuts take this cake to the next level of deliciousness in comparison to similar cakes.
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 cup granulated sugar
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 (3.4-ounce) package instant coconut pudding
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 large bananas, sliced
1 (8-ounce) carton whipped topping
1/2 cup coconut, toasted*
1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted*
- Prepare and bake cake as directed on package in greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Mix pineapple and sugar in saucepan. Bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over hot, just baked cake, that you have poked holes in with the handle of a wooden spoon. Set aside and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Mix coconut pudding as directed on package.
- Cream the cream cheese with an electric mixer, add pudding and mix well. Spread over cooled cake.
- Distribute sliced bananas evenly over cake. Spread whipped topping evenly over bananas. Garnish with the toasted coconut and nuts, if desired.
- Keep refrigerated.
Makes 12 servings.
*Toast coconut and nuts on separate baking sheets, spreading out evenly. Bake in a 300°F (150°C) oven, for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Stir every few minutes to ensure even browning. Watch closely to prevent burning.