Red, White and Blueberry Cake
A festive dessert for warm weather. Fresh strawberries, blueberries and sweetened whipped cream makes this cake light and refreshing.
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
3 large egg whites
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 pint (2 cups) whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 pints fresh blueberries, gently rinsed and dried
1 quart fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved
1/2 cup strawberry glaze
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two (8-inch) round cake pans; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low speed, beat cake mix, water, egg whites and oil for 2 minutes. Divide batter between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whip cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Chill until ready to assemble cakes.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter. Cover with whipped cream. Arrange a single layer of blueberries over the entire top. Add a small amount of additional whipped cream to cover blueberries. Place second layer of cake on top. Cover with whipped cream so that sides and top are totally covered. Place strawberries halves, cut-side down, on top of cake. Drizzle with glaze in a streaked fashion. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes 12 servings.