Simply Delicious Citrus Sponge Cake
A light and refreshing ending to any meal, the springy texture of this sponge cake makes an ideal base for a tangy lemon filling and rainbow topping of fresh fruit.
Nonstick cooking spray
3 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup sifted cake flour or sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup refrigerated reduced-cholesterol whole egg product or 1 large egg
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons orange liqueur or orange juice
1 1/2 cups orange sections, blueberries, raspberries, thinly-sliced strawberries, and/or thinly sliced peeled peaches
- Spray a 9 x 1 1/2-inch round baking pan with nonstick spray; set pan aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, orange peel, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Fold in flour just until blended. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan; cool on rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan combine water, 1/4 cup sugar, egg product or eggs, and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool thoroughly.
- Carefully cut cake into two horizontal layers. Sprinkle cut surfaces of cake layers with orange liqueur or orange juice. Place one layer on serving plate. Spread with half of the lemon filling. Place second layer on top and spread with remaining lemon filling. Arrange fruit on top. Cover and chill until serving time. Store any leftover cake in the refrigerator.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): calories: 188, total fat: 2g, saturated fat: 1g, cholesterol: 80mg, sodium: 35mg, carbohydrate: 37g, fiber: 1g, protein: 4g.
Recipe provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.