Spicy Pumpkin Pound Cake
Recipe courtesy of University of Illinois Extension.
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon Bourbon whiskey or 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups lightly brown sugar, packed
1 cup unsweetened pumpkin purée, canned or fresh
Powder sugar for dusting the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Position rack in lower third of oven. Spray a 10-inch tube pan or 12 cup Bundt® cake pan with vegetable spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamom. Set aside.
- Separate eggs. Place yolks in a small bowl and whites in a large mixing bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Add the brown sugar a 1/2 cup at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in Bourbon whiskey or vanilla extract and continue beating for about 3 minutes.
- Beat the yolks with a fork then add to sugar mixture, one-third at a time. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down sides of bowl as you mix.
- Add pumpkin purée and beat until smooth.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture. Beat just until dry ingredients are incorporated. Continue adding remaining flour in two batches. Set aside.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into pumpkin batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Gently spread batter evenly around pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate. Allow to completely cool. Dust with powdered sugar.
Makes 16 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of University of Illinois Extension.