Sweet Dark Cherry Pudding Cake
Serve this comforting, old fashioned sweet cherry pudding with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups frozen pitted dark sweet cherries (or 2 (16-ounce) cans pitted dark sweet cherries, well drained)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the milk and vegetable oil just until smooth; do not over mix. Spread batter into an ungreased 8x8x2-inch pan.
- Arrange pitted dark sweet cherries in a single layer over batter.
- Toss together the brown sugar and cinnamon to combine; sprinkle evenly over cherries.
- Stir lemon juice into boiling water and pour slowly over the cherries and brown sugar.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commission.