Texas Pete Red Velvet Cones
These spicy-hot and sassy, fun-to-eat red velvet cake cones are ready to party!
5 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups vegetable oil
2 cups buttermilk
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons red food coloring
2 tablespoons Texas Pete Original Hot Sauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
48 small, flat-bottomed ice cream cones
Cream Cheese Icing:
4 1/2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (36 ounces total)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vnilla extract:
2 teaspoons Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce
Piping bag with small decorative tip
Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Cake Cones: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. In another large bowl whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, Texas Pete Hot Sauce and vanilla.
- Using a standing mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the ice cream cones, filling them 2/3 of the way up to give them room to rise in the oven. Arrange the cones on a parchment-lined sheet tray standing up and place them into the oven to bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, or until they have fully risen. They are ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool completely.
- While the cakes are in the oven, prepare the spicy cream cheese frosting.
- For Cream Cheese Icing: Place the softened cream cheese and the softened butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth again. Add the vanilla extract and the Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce and whisk one more minute. You may add more powdered sugar or Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce until the icing is flavored to your liking.
- Place the spicy cream cheese frosting into a piping bag with a small decorative tip.
- Using the tip of the piping bag, carefully puncture a small hole into the center of the top of the red velvet cake and pipe approximately 2 to 3 tablespoons of the spicy cream cheese into the center of the cake, allowing some of the cream cheese to come out of the top for decoration. Continue until all the red velvet cake cones are filled. Use any extra cream cheese icing to frost the tops of the cones.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Makes 48 cake cones.
Recipe and photograph provided by www.TexasPete.com via Brandpoint Content; Copyright 1996-2014.