Tropical Snack Cake
Snack cakes are great because they're quick and are usually served as is—without frosting. This tropical version, loaded with coconut, banana and pineapple, is a good example.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 8-inch square pan with vegetable shortening.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- In medium bowl, combine pineapple with juice, milk, banana, oil and vanilla; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.) Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Store tightly covered.
Makes 6 to 9 servings.