A chocolate-covered buttery confection with a crisp, crunchy texture.
1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (6-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips
- Generously butter a cookie sheet.
- Put butter, sugar, and water in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a bubbling boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. Continue cooking, without stirring, to a very brittle stage (300°F to 310°F | 150°C to 155°C on a candy thermometer). Or, when a small amount is dropped into cold water, the candy separates into hard, brittle threads.
- Remove from heat and add nuts to mixture. Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Pour onto prepared cookie sheet and spread to 1/4-inch thickness. Cool slightly, top with chocolate chips and spread once chocolate softens.
- Cool completely and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 36 pieces.