Five-Spice Caramel Corn
Caramel corn with a penchant toward the exotic. Makes a great gift when presented in a stylish tin.
3 quarts (12 cups) popcorn (about 1/2 cup unpopped corn kernels)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup honey
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Place popcorn in large bowl, set aside.
- Line rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in honey, brown sugar and salt. Bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat, stir in baking soda and five-spice powder. Pour mixture over popcorn and quickly mix to coat.
- Spread coated popcorn onto prepared cookie sheet and bake 40 minutes, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes with spatula.
- Cool completely before packaging. Store caramel corn in airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.
Makes 3 quarts.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.