Layered Chocolate Caramel Candy
This recipe features milk chocolate and butterscotch morsels melted with peanut butter and topped with a marshmallow and caramel layer.
A finalist of the 2002/2003 Better Homes and Garden's & Nestlé Toll House "Share the Very Best Recipe" contest is Kori Hall of Kansas City, MO with her prize winning caramel candy.
1 3/4 cups (11.5 ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels - divided use
1/2 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Butterscotch Flavored Morsels - divided use
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter - divided use
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups lightly salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1 (14-ounce) package vanilla caramels
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Line 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil; grease foil with butter.
- For Chocolate Layer: Heat 1 cup milk chocolate morsels, 1/4 cup butterscotch morsels and 1/4 cup peanut butter in small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Spread chocolate mixture over bottom of prepared baking pan; cover. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- For Marshmallow Layer: Melt butter in heavy-duty saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and evaporated milk; heat to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat until mixture comes just to a boil. Heat for 5 minutes (do not stir); remove from heat. Stir in marshmallow creme, 1/4 cup peanut butter and vanilla extract. Stir in peanuts. Carefully spoon marshmallow layer over chocolate layer; cover. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- For Caramel Layer: Heat caramels and cream in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Spread caramel mixture over marshmallow layer; cover. Refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes or until set.
- For Topping: Heat remaining morsels and remaining peanut butter in small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is smooth. Spread over caramel layer. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Use foil to lift candy from baking pan; remove foil. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Makes 108 pieces.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/108 of recipe): Calories: 80 Calories from Fat: 35 Total Fat: 4 g Saturated Fat: 1.5 g Cholesterol: 5 mg Sodium: 35 mg Carbohydrates: 10 g Dietary Fiber: 0 g Sugars: 8 g Protein: 1 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.