Nutty Swiss Caramels
Irresistible, buttery cream caramels loaded with chopped nuts.
Recipe Ingredients:1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups nuts, chopped (16-ounces)
- Line a 13x9-inch pan with aluminum foil. For thicker candy use a 9x9-inch square pan.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter. Add sugar, light corn syrup, and cream. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cook, and stir until 250°F (120°C) on a candy thermometer (about 20 minutes).
- Add vanilla, and stir in nuts.
- Immediately pour into the prepared pan.
- When cool, use a buttered knife to cut into 1-inch squares. Wrap each square in plastic wrap to store.
Makes 117 (1-inch) squares using a 13x9-inch pan; or 81 (1-inch) squares using a 9x9-inch pan.