Peanut Brittle Deluxe
Irresistible peanut brittle, it's crunchy, buttery-sweet and chock-full of peanuts.
Recipe Ingredients:2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups raw peanuts
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line 2 baking sheets with lightly buttered aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches the soft crack stage (285°F / 140°C) or when small amount of mixture dropped in cold water separates into hard but not brittle threads.
- Add the peanuts and butter. Cook, stirring constantly, to the hard crack stage (300°F / 150°C) or until small amount of mixture dropped in cold water separates into hard, brittle threads. Remove from the heat.
- Quickly stir in the baking soda and vanilla (mixture will foam up). Turn the mixture onto prepared baking sheets. Spread out with a metal spatula as thin as possible (warmed pans help to spread mixture thinner).
- Cool completely, invert pan and peel off foil; break into serving pieces. Keep in tightly covered container at room temperature.
Makes about 2 pounds of brittle.