Popcorn Caramel Apples
Crispy popcorn is pressed onto warm caramel-covered apples, drizzled with melted chocolate and sprinkled with colorful candy sprinkles.
1 quart freshly popped popcorn
1 (9.5-ounce) package caramels, unwrapped (35 caramels)
1/4 cup half-and-half (light cream)
4 lollipop sticks (or wooden candy apple sticks)
4 tart apples (such as Fuji, Gala or Braeburn)
1/2 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
Colored decorative candy sprinkles
Decorative ribbon (optional)
- Place popcorn in a large bowl; set aside. Place a sheet of waxed paper on work surface.
- Heat caramels and cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until caramels are melted and cream is blended into caramels.
- Push a stick into an apple center and dip into caramel. Spoon caramel over apple to coat.
- Place caramel-coated apple into bowl of popcorn and press popcorn onto caramel to cover. Place apple on waxed paper to set; repeat with remaining apples.
- Place chocolate chips in a small, resealable plastic bag. Microwave 10 seconds and press chips to aid melting. Repeat, heating at 10-second intervals, until chips are completely melted.
- Cut a small corner off bag and squeeze chocolate onto each apple allowing chocolate to drip down sides.
- Sprinkle with sugar sprinkles.
- Tie a bow to each apple stick, if desired. To serve, cut apple into slices.
Makes 4 caramel apples.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.