The recipe for these hot and spicy, sweet and crunchy pecans is from Emeril's Creole Christmas Cookbook.
2 cups water
2 cups plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
2 cups pecan pieces
4 cups vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine the water, 2 cups of the sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne in a medium-size, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the mixture comes to a boil and becomes slightly thick, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pecans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Drain the pecans in a colander set over a bowl, shaking off the excess liquid.
- Heat the oil to 360°F (175°C) in a deep frying pot or electric fryer. Add the pecans and fry until they are a deep mahogany color, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove the pecans with a slotted spoon and drain on a platter lined with parchment paper. Stir the pecans so they won’t stick together.
- Combine the salt, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, the cinnamon, and the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar in a bowl. Sprinkle the pecans with this mixture. Let cool. Serve in small nut cups or decorative bowls.
- They can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Makes 2 cups.
Used with permission. EMERILS.COM is a registered trademark owned by Emeril's Food of Love Productions, LLC. COPYRIGHT ©2001. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.