Grated chocolate and slivered almonds baked into fluffy egg whites give the impression of grassy nests.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups slivered almonds
3 large egg whites
6 ounces milk chocolate candy bar, grated
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Grease and flour a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat sugar and water until mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (see note). Stir in almonds, then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until very stiff. Fold in almond mixture and chocolate.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 1-inch apart onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until dry, about 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes then cool on a wire rack.
Makes 1 dozen candy nests.
Tip: The soft-ball stage is a test for candy that describes the point at which a drop of boiling syrup immersed in cold water forms a soft ball that flattens of its own accord when removed. On a candy thermometer, the soft-ball stage is between 234° and 240°F (approximately 115°C).