Caliente Fiesta Chicken
Spicy, South-of-the-Border-style chicken breasts served atop oven-crisped cheesy flour tortillas with a drizzle of Caliente Fiesta Sauce and a dollop of Avocado Butter.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
4 (7 to 8-inch) flour tortillas
1 1/3 cup shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
1 tablespoon minced green onion, white and green parts included
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon original blend salt-free herb and spice seasoning - divided use
Caliente Fiesta Sauce (recipe follows)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Avocado Butter (recipe follows)
Cilantro sprigs for garnish (optional)
White parts of green onion, cut into flowers for garnish (optional)
- Place chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap and gently pound to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Arrange tortillas on large baking sheet.
- In medium bowl, mix together cheese, chiles and onion. Divide mixture and spread on tortillas. Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven about 10 minutes or until bubbly and light brown around edges.
- Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, place oil and heat to medium high temperature. Add chicken; sprinkle with 1/2 of herb seasoning and cook about 3 minutes or until brown. Turn and sprinkle remaining herb seasoning on chicken; cook an additional 3 minutes or until brown and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Place 1 piece of chicken on each tortilla.
- In same skillet, place Caliente Fiesta Sauce and heat through.
- Spoon 1/4 of Caliente Fiesta Sauce over center of each chicken breast and sprinkle with cilantro. Pipe or spoon Avocado Butter in the center of sauce. Garnish each with cilantro sprigs and onion flowers, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Caliente Fiesta Sauce: In food processor or blender container, place 1/2 cup drained canned roasted red peppers and 2 tablespoons mild bottled red taco sauce. Process until puréed. Pour into small bowl and stir in 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil.
Avocado Butter: In small bowl, mash 1 small seeded and peeled ripe avocado. Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Spoon mixture into pastry bag with large star tip or cover bowl with plastic wrap and drop by spoonfuls at serving time.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.