Caribbean Citrus Chicken
Here's an impressive, low-fat main dish that's quick and easy, too! Tender, golden browned chicken breasts are flavor accented with a combination of fresh citrus, garlic and fiery dried red pepper flakes. Sprinkle as little or as much red pepper to adjust the heat of this dish to your family's liking.
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 medium oranges
Hot cooked jasmine or other long-grained rice for accompaniment (optional)
Additional lime wedges for accompaniment
- Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet cook chicken and garlic in butter over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices no longer pink, turning chicken once and stirring garlic occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine lime peel, lime juice, ginger, and red pepper; set aside.
- Peel oranges, removing pith. Reserving juice, cut oranges in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into thin slices. Add any reserved orange juice and the lime juice mixture to skillet.
- Place orange slices on top of chicken. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes our until heated through.
- To serve, spoon any reserved drippings over chicken. Serve with rice and additional lime wedges for accompaniment, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 191.0 calories; 25% calories from fat; 5.4g total fat; 78.6mg cholesterol; 104.8mg sodium; 398.9mg potassium; 7.2g carbohydrates; 1.1g fiber; 4.2g sugar; 6.0g net carbs; 27.8g protein.