Caribbean Chicken with Pineapple-Black Bean Sauce
Spicy Caribbean-style baked chicken served on a bed of rice topped with a flavorful pineapple and black bean sauce.
Vegetable cooking spray
6 small skinless boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 large sweet red pepper, sliced
6 green onions and tops, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 jalapeño pepper, veins and seeds discarded, minced
2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
1 (13.75-ounce) can 1/3 less sodium chicken broth
2 cups cubed pineapple
1/2 cup mango chutney
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 (15-ounce) can S&W® Black Beans, rinsed, drained
4 cups cooked rice, warm
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Cook chicken breasts over medium heat until browned, 5 to7 minutes on each side; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Spray medium skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Sauté red pepper, onions, garlic, jalapeño pepper, and ginger root until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, pineapple, chutney, brown sugar and curry powder; heat to boiling. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Bake uncovered, until chicken is tender and juices run clear when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Arrange chicken on serving platter; transfer pineapple mixture to large skillet; heat to boiling.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into pineapple mixture. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened about 1 minute. Stir in black beans; cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon pineapple-bean mixture over chicken; serve with rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 459; Fat 4g; % Calories from Fat 9; Carbohydrate 72g; Sodium 319mg; Protein 35g; Cholesterol 68mg.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Bean Education & Awareness Network. Photograph courtesy of S&W Beans.