Catalan Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
Two methods of cooking, grilling and stewing, are applied to create this intensely flavorful, Catalan-style chicken and chorizo dish developed at the Johnson and Wales University.
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 chicken leg quarters
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, medium sized, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cup chorizo or other spicy sausage, chopped
1 (28-ounce) can whole, peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
1/2 cup full-bodied red wine
1/2 cup pitted olives, chopped
- In small bowl, stir together cayenne pepper, cumin, cinnamon, salt and black pepper. Rub thoroughly over chicken leg quarters. Place on grill and cook, turning, until browned on all sides and beginning to firm, about 10 minutes total.
- While chicken is grilling, heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in chorizo; sauté for 3 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes and red wine. Bring mixture to simmer and continue cooking until chicken is off the grill.
- Add chicken to pot. Stir in olives. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- To serve, put a piece of chicken in each of four large, shallow bowls. Top with sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.