Chicken Stuffed with Prosciutto and Fontina
Italian-style chicken rolls stuffed with prosciutto and fontina cheese and quick-braised in a wine sauce.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
about 4 ounces fontina (or Swiss) cheese, cut into 4 sticks
4 slices prosciutto (or thinly sliced cooked ham)
2 tablespoons butter
6 ounces mushrooms, stems removed
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
1 pound fettuccine, cooked al dente and tossed with 2 tablespoons butter
- Place each chicken breast between sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper and pound thin with a kitchen mallet or the flat side of a large knife.
- Wrap each cheese stick with a slice of prosciutto and place in the center of each flattened chicken breast half. Wrap the chicken breast around the prosciutto and cheese, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy skillet. Remove the plastic wrap from the chicken rolls and quickly brown them over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to low, and add the mushrooms in the pan, stirring to coat the mushrooms with the pan juice. Add the wine and rosemary in the pan. Cook the chicken rolls, turning frequently, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the pan to a cutting board. Keep warm
- Reheat the mushrooms and pan juices and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut each of the rolls at an angle into 3 to 4 slices.
- To plate, arrange each sliced chicken roll on a bed of hot buttered fettuccine. Divide the mushrooms and the pan juices over each serving.
Makes 4 servings.