Chicken Tortilla Casserole
This easy-to-assemble Southwestern casserole is sure to please your family and guests. A great dish for potluck gatherings, too!
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (4-ounce) cans mild chopped green chiles
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup sour cream
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Wisconsin cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cup (6 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese - divided use
5 (10-inch) flour tortillas
2 cups whole kernel corn, drained
- Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté chicken and onion in butter for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce, chiles, chili powder and cumin. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine sour cream, cheddar cheese and 1 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Place one tortilla in casserole dish; cover with 1/5 of the chicken mixture, 1/2 cup corn and 1/4 of the sour cream mixture. Repeat layers three more times. On top of last tortilla, place remaining chicken mixture and 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C). for 35 minutes until light brown and bubbly.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.