Chicken with Pineapple and Lemon Grass
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 stalks lemon grass, chopped into 2-inch pieces
1 piece gingerroot, about 2 inches, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups pineapple chunks
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Place chicken broth in small saucepan. Add lemon grass, ginger and lime zest. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- While the chicken broth mixture is simmering, warm vegetable oil over high heat in a large, non-stick skillet or wok. Toss chicken chunks in cornstarch. Add chicken to heated oil in two batches; sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken, place on plate and set aside.
- Add pineapple chunks to pan and sauté quickly, about 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet or wok. Pour chicken broth into pan through strainer, separating out lemon grass, ginger and lime zest pieces. Discard these pieces.
- Stir over high heat until sauce reaches a simmer, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4 minutes, until sauce has thickened lightly. Add salt. Sprinkle with cilantro and mint.
- Serve immediately over rice or noodles.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.