Chile Stuffed Chicken Legs
This terrific recipe for Chile Stuffed Chicken Legs was submitted by Ethel O'Rear of Prescott Valley, Arizona.
4 green onions, white and green parts included, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
2 tablespoons lime juice - divided use
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 chicken drumsticks
4 tablespoons butter or margarine - divided use
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons dry sherry
3 large bananas, sliced in half crosswise, then sliced in half lengthwise
- In blender, place onions, chiles with liquid, 1 tablespoon lime juice, oil, ketchup and salt; blend at medium speed until smooth.
- Carefully loosen skin on each drumstick by pushing fingers between skin and meat. Spread 2 tablespoons chile mixture under skin of each; tuck skin under leg to hold securely.
- Place chicken, skin side up, in baking pan; bake uncovered in 400°F (205°C) oven 30 minutes.
- In small saucepan, place 1 tablespoon butter, hot pepper sauce and honey; heat over medium-low heat until butter melts.
- Remove chicken from oven; brush with honey mixture and bake about 15 minutes or until a fork can be inserted with ease.
- In 8x8x2-inch baking dish, place remaining 3 tablespoons butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, sherry and remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice; heat in oven until butter melts. Place bananas in butter mixture and turn to coat. Bake bananas in oven with chicken during last 10 minutes of chicken’s cooking time.
- Arrange chicken on platter with bananas around edge.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.