Chinese Apricot Chicken
Chinese chicken stir-fry in a sweet and savory apricot sauce.
1 whole chicken (4 pounds), cut up
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sherry
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons peanut oil
6 fresh apricots (3/4 pound), halved
3 green onions, cut into 2-inch slivers
- Cut chicken parts into 2 inch pieces, using a cleaver, whacking straight down through the bone (or have a butcher do it for you).
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, soy sauce, sherry, ketchup, and cornstarch for sauce; set aside.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat oil and stir-fry chicken over high heat 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- Add apricots; stir-fry 1 minute.
- Pour sauce mixture over chicken; cook, stirring until thickened.
- Garnish with green onion slivers.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy California Fresh Apricot Council.