Easy Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
Chicken breast halves are quick-braised in a tasty stroganoff-style sauce with mushrooms and served over hot cooked egg noodles.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 medium red onion, chopped
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons prepared coarse-grain mustard
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Cooked egg noodles for accompaniment
- In large non-stick skillet, melt butter over high heat.
- Place flour in pie pan; add chicken and turn to coat well.
- Place chicken in skillet and cook, turning about 5 minutes to brown well on both sides. Stir in onions, mushrooms and any unused flour. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk together chicken broth and mustard. Pour mixture into skillet and stir. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and parsley and simmer for 2 additional minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over egg noodles.
Makes 4 servings.
Make Ahead Tips:
- To freeze, transfer Chicken Stroganoff to a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. Let cool, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Refrigerate, uncovered, until cold, about 30 minutes. Cover tightly and freeze until needed.
- To thaw, transfer from freezer to refrigerator 12 to 24 hours before needed. Reheat in large, covered skillet over medium-low heat. Bring to simmer and cook about 5 minutes.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.