Easy Oven-Fried Chicken
Crispy on the outside, moist and tender on the inside and only 5 grams of fat per 2-strip serving! Serve these crispy chicken strips with your favorite dipping sauces. They are also great served cold, making them ideal for picnics and other outdoor dining activities.
6 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut lengthwise into 12 strips*
Kosher or sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder, as needed
1/2 cup buttermilk or low-fat plain yogurt
1 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder**
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Vegetable cooking spray
Suggested Dipping Sauces for Accompaniment: barbecue; honey mustard; sweet and sour, etc.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil (the foil is for easier clean-up, you can omit this step if desired); place oven-safe wire rack in foil-lined pan; liberally coat rack with cooking spray; set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken strips with salt, pepper and garlic powder on both sides (or use your favorite seasoning salt instead).
- Place buttermilk or plain yogurt in a large bowl, add chicken strips, gently toss to coat and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a large plastic bag.
- Gently shake off excess buttermilk or yogurt and add chicken strips, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, close bag and shake to coat well.
- Place chicken pieces on wire rack(s); spritz liberally with cooking spray, carefully turn pieces over and repeat.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and carefully turn chicken strips over, and if needed, spritzing any dry areas with cooking spray. Return to oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until done (180°F | 85°C).
- Serve hot or cold, with or with dipping sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
*Or use 1 1/2 pounds ready-cut chicken breast tenders.
**Baking powder gives the coating more crunch.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe or approximately 2 chicken strips): 243.7 calories; 19% calories from fat; 5.2g total fat; 66.6mg cholesterol; 258.3mg sodium; 359.0mg potassium; 17.7g carbohydrates; 0.8g fiber; 1.1g sugar; 16.9g net carbs; 29.1g protein.