Festive Chicken Fajitas with Queso Blanco
Marinated strips of chicken are stir-fried in just a matter of minutes with onions and sweet peppers, combined with queso blanco cheese and fresh cilantro, and served in warm flour tortillas with shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Muy delicioso!
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1/2-inch strips
2 teaspoons butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 bell peppers (1 yellow and 1 red), cut in 1/2-inch strips
2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Queso Blanco Cheese,* crumbled - divided use
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
12 medium-sized flour tortillas, warmed
Suggested Accompaniments: shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, sour cream
- In large bowl, combine orange juice, zest, garlic, cumin, salt, and oregano. Add chicken; stir to combine. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate.
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers; sauté 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, add chicken to skillet, discarding any remaining marinade. Sauté 8 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of queso blanco cheese.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to large warm serving platter. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of queso blanco and cilantro over the top.
- Roll a portion of the mixture in warmed tortillas. Serve with the remaining cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream, as desired.
Makes 12 servings.
*Wisconsin Jack or Pepper Cheese can be substituted.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.