Georgia Pecan-Stuffed Honey Mustard Chicken
This recipe can easily be doubled to make chicken for a crowd. The stuffing can be made ahead, but should be added to the chicken just before it is baked.
4 tablespoons honey mustard - divided use
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
2/3 cup Georgia pecans, finely chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper - divided use
2 tablespoons butter, melted
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread 2 tablespoons honey mustard in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, pecans, green onion, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Toss with melted butter to coat mixture.
- To make pocket for stuffing, turn each chicken breast half on its side and cut a 3-inch long slit in the thickest part. Cut as deeply as possible without slicing completely through the chicken.
- Divide pecan stuffing mixture among chicken breast halves, filling each pocket generously so it mounds slightly.
- Arrange chicken pieces, stuffing side facing up, in prepared baking pan. Brush remaining 2 tablespoons honey mustard on outside of each piece of chicken. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; bake 30 minutes or until cooked through and stuffing is golden brown.
- Just before serving, spoon pan juices over chicken.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 333; Total Fat: 20g; Cholesterol: 52mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 3g; Sodium: 696mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Georgia Pecan Commission.