Peanut Masala Stuffed Chicken with Shredded Carrot Salad
The terrific recipe for Peanut Masala Stuffed Chicken with Shredded Carrot Salad was submitted by Vanda Pozzanghera of Rochester, New York.
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric - divided use
3 tablespoons minced cilantro - divided use
1/3 cup ground raw Spanish peanuts
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Shredded Carrot Salad (recipe follows)
- Lightly grease 8x8 inch baking dish.
- On flat hard surface, place garlic and sprinkle cumin seed, salt and cayenne pepper. With plastic covered rolling pin, mash mixture into a paste.
- In small bowl, mix together paste with oil, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1 tablespoon cilantro and peanuts.
- In another small bowl, mix together butter, ginger and remaining 1/4 teaspoon turmeric.
- Between 2 pieces plastic wrap, place chicken breast halves; pound lightly to flatten.
- Brush smooth side of chicken with butter mixture; turn and spread unseasoned side with peanut mixture. Starting at short end, roll chicken tightly; place seam side down in prepared baking dish.
- Pour any remaining butter mixture over chicken and bake in 350°F (175°C) oven about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Cool 5 minutes and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Arrange Shredded Carrot Salad on serving dish and top with chicken. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
Makes 4 servings.
Shredded Carrot Salad: In large bowl, mix together 4 cups peeled and shredded carrots, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar. In large skillet, place 4 tablespoons vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon cumin seed and 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds. When seeds begin to crackle, remove from heat and stir into carrot mixture.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.