Portuguese Orange and Almond Chicken
This terrific recipe for Portuguese Orange and Almond Chicken was submitted by Robin Hyde of Lincoln, Nebraska.
1 cup orange juice - divided use
1 teaspoon grated orange rind - divided use
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup chopped almonds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup mandarin oranges, drained
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Orange slices for garnish (optional)
- In a zip-lock plastic bag, place 1/4 cup of the orange juice, 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind and garlic. Add chicken, seal and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- In large nonstick skillet over medium heat, place almonds, stirring to toast slightly; remove from pan and set aside.
- Place olive oil in skillet. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 12 minutes or until fork can be inserted with ease. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- In same skillet, place onion and sauté about 2 minutes.
- Mix together remaining orange juice and cornstarch; stir into pan with onion. Add oranges, red pepper, salt, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind. Cook about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened; pour onto serving platter.
- Arrange chicken on top of sauce. Sprinkle with almonds and cilantro; garnish with orange slices, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.