Puffy Chicken Chile Relleño
Recipe courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.
Non-stick cooking spray
3 to 4 (6-inch) reduced-fat or fat-free flour tortillas, torn into pieces
1 (6-ounce) package cooked fajita-style chicken breast strips, chopped
2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped green onions - divided use
1 (16-ounce) jar prepared salsa
2 cups shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- With cooking spray, Coat 2-quart baking dish.
- Spread torn tortillas in the bottom of dish.
- Layer chicken, chiles and 1 cup green onions on top of tortillas. Spread salsa as the next layer; sprinkle with cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk and flour. Pour evenly into baking dish.
- Bake until golden, puffy and center reaches 160°F (71.1°C), about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before cutting. Serve topped with sour cream and reserved 2 tablespoons green onions, if desired.
Makes 7 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/7 of recipe): Calories: 306; Total Fat: 14g; Cholesterol: 277mg; Total Carbs: 19g; Protein: 23g; Sodium: 1158mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.